My introduction to zippers turned out to be quite successful with this "boxy pouch." For my practice pouch I used a zipper ripped from a bag of dress-making scraps I received from a fellow free-cycler, and some scrap fabric I had on hand. It turned out better than I expected- although it will probably never be used because it's not very stiff, and is extremely sloppy.
BUT my second attempt...I am in LOVE with! I added a lining and some interfacing to stiffen it up a bit, and I'm exceptionally happy with the outcome. It is my official make-up pouch now. The fabric and lining are from JoAnn's and I learned how to do it from this excellent tutorial.These are so easy and fun to make. If I had more zippers, I would never stop!