This was actually my third project, the second was also a turtle pin coushin...made of scraps I got from a seemstress who does wedding and formal wear. It was pretty bad. I did most of the stitching by hand because the pieces were so small. Probably not the best thing for a beginning project, but this purple one I did mostly by machine and I now have the experience of sewing tiny pieces and curves in my machine. There were some bumps along the way, but it turned out ok for a beginning project. The pattern is from Simplicity which I got for 99cents at a Jo-Ann's sale. Wee!! The fabric is leftover fat quarter pieces also from Jo-Ann's.